Friday, April 03, 2009

Forgiveness:Putting God Over Our Emotions

Forgiveness

Once upon a time two brothers who lived on adjoining farms fell into conflict. It was the first serious rift in 40 years of farming side by side, sharing machinery, and trading labor and goods as needed without a hitch. Then the long collaboration fell apart. It began with a small misunderstanding and it grew into a major difference, and finally it exploded into an exchange of bitter words followed by weeks of silence.

One morning there was a knock on John's door. He opened it to find a man with a carpenter's toolbox. "I'm looking for a few days work" he said. "Perhaps you would have a few small jobs here and there. Could I help you?"

"Yes," said the older brother. "I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That's my neighbor, in fact, it's my younger brother. Last week there was a meadow between us and he took his bulldozer to the river levee and now there is a creek between us. Well, he may have done this to spite me, but I'll go him one better. See that pile of lumber curing by the barn? I want you to build me a fence -- an 8-foot fence -- so I won't need to see his place anymore. Cool him down, anyhow."

The carpenter said, "I think I understand the situation. Show me the nails and the post-hole digger and I'll be able to do a job that pleases you."

The older brother had to go to town for supplies, so he helped the carpenter get the materials ready and then he was off for the day.

The carpenter worked hard all that day measuring, sawing, nailing.

About sunset when the farmer returned, the carpenter had just finished his job.

The farmer's eyes opened wide, his jaw dropped.

There was no fence there at all. It was a bridge -- a bridge stretching from one side of the creek to the other! A fine piece of work handrails and all -- and the neighbor, his younger brother, was coming across, his hand outstretched.

"You are quite a fellow to build this bridge after all I've said and done."

The two brothers stood at each end of the bridge, and then they met in the middle, taking each other's hand. They turned to see the carpenter hoist his toolbox on his shoulder. "No, wait! Stay a few days. I've a lot of other projects for you," said the older brother.

"I'd love to stay on," the carpenter said, "but, I have many more bridges to build."

[ Author Unknown -- from: Chuck Crenshaw, via Bill Champion ]
************************************************************************************
Anger is a killing thing: it kills the man who angers, for each rage leaves him less than he had been before - it takes something from him. (~Louis L'Armour)

“The worst-tempered people I've ever met were people who knew they were wrong.” (~Wilson Mizner)

“Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret. “(~Ambrose Bierce)
************************************************************************************
Sa aking minamahal na kapatid, kay Kristo Hesus....Spirit of peace be upon you!

I am not saying things here because I want to tell you what to do ,or ,that I have wisdom you don't have...I am sharing words of love- that come from the Lord! I am doing this out of love...as I love my husband, my children, my nanay, my tatay, and so I love my kuya and my only sister, also my love is for my brother-in-law and my sister-in-law ,and to all the people God gave me to love.....Above all these, because I love God........

A message from the God of Peace:

Every people has the desire to be appreciated, to be great, and to be respected. But greatness should not be equalled to perfection, for there is no one who is perfect. And because of the imperfection, every one should be humble. All have shortcomings, all make wrong choices, all have inabilities…All are not good enough to be truly called “great”. Greatness equals humility, and humility equals courage. It takes lots of courage to say, “I am sorry….I am wrong.” But it is not an act of foolishness nor a sign of weakness. Only a strong person can take his pride off and put it down on the ground. The low tone of voice doesn’t decreases someone’s greatness, nor loss his honor; but he eventually earn much respect…On the other hand, in anger, one can’t accomplish anything, but only brings disasters- to himself and to others. Faults should not be magnified , nor the emotions it made the heart to feel. As the need for a single fire to be extinguished immediately, so is the same with anger; if not, it will destroy everything on its path. The word “Sorry” also means, “I am not the best”…and… “I need help”. Putting down one’s pride, is like stepping down the long stairs, unlocking the door, welcoming those who hurt you, and then climbing the stairs again- but this time, together! There is joy when we say “I am sorry”, because there is freedom from the hurts & bitterness. Practice saying kind words-words of appreciation, words that bring peace and build people. Don’t open your mouth if evil words are to come out. Consequently, freedom from anger brings abundance of forgiveness. Forgiving bridges gaps and restores relationships. When someone says “I am sorry”, you should be saying the words, “I forgive you”.

I pray for you- a humble heart that forgives and loves again!

with love and sincerity,
Charo
************************************************************************************
“The reward of humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, honor and life.” (-Proverbs 22:4, NASB)

“Because if you forgive people their offenses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.”(-Matthew 6:14, ISV)
***********************************************************************************
"A man who is at the top is a man who has the habit of getting to the bottom."(- Joseph E. Rogers)

Humility means to understand the self and through that to understand others as well. Humility is the attitude where a person is not attached to his or her opinion and feelings. Humility is the most natural expression of truth. It helps in better understanding of truth. Humility is the basis for maintaining self-respect. Humility does not mean bowing down and being subservient to others. Humility allows you to see benefit in everything. Developing humility brings a lot of comfort and ease into your life.(-Innerspace-)

“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” (~Lewis B. Smedes, "Forgiveness - The Power to Change the Past," Christianity Today, 7 January 1983)

Shalom!